Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Like Hillary Again (But Don't Like Being 18)

So it's past 1 am here, and we just got home from the Convention and I want to do a quick post before I do a big one tomorrow.  We just spent about an hour walking around Denver, Lauren barefoot because she wore bad shoes, trying to hail a cab.  Oh, and we managed to get on the guest list for a post-Convention club party, stand in line, and then not get let in because we're underage.  Lame.

But Hillary was good.  She was great.  I don't even like her that much and I was screaming my lungs out and waving my Hillary/Unity sign like some barbaric, axe wielding, Iceni tribesman.  How good did I think she was?  Let me tell a quick story.

Right before she went on, I checked the Phillies game on my phone.  The Phillies were losing 6-7 in the ninth against the hated Mets, and had clawed back from a 0-7 deficit to get within striking range.  They had men on base.  They could tie it.  Did I check the score during her speech?

No.  But that was ok because they came back and won 8-7 in the 13th.  But I didn't peek until she was done.  I swear!

Anyway, she was great.  I think (and so did the die hard Hillary supporter I was with) that she did everything she could possibly do to bring people over to his side
.

peace

PS- We spent all day trying to get our credentials (more details on that when I do a full post tomorrow), so I missed breakfast AND lunch.  But I had a really good cheesesteak at a stand outside the Convention Center.  No provolone though; it had mozzarella cheese.  The guy hadn't even heard of provolone!

PPS-  Apparently Brian Schweitzer's speech didn't make cable, but it was much better than Warner's.  He had the best line of the night.  Paraphrasing, it was "even if we drill in every one of John McCain's backyards, we can't drill our way out of our energy crisis."  By the way, when you watch his speech, listen closely at 1:05.  Heard that line before anywhere?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw your buddy Schweitzer's speech on CNN.He wasn't totally overlooked by the fickle camera of cable.

Take a minute and read this link:
http://mediamatters.org/columns/200808260005
A little history about the convention behavior of challengers including Teddy Kennedy and Jerry Brown. No one even considered pressuring them to release their delegates and not have their votes recognized.

Frank in Santa Monica said...

Good point, Abby, but at least in 1980 (Kennedy) and 1988 (Jackson) the Dems went on to lose. Okay, they won in 92, but then who cared what Jerry Brown did? So, yes, the media is ridiculous about this whole thing, but the bigger point is that Hillary has realized that it's important to support Obama -- sometimes we Dems need to be more like Republicans and love each other! (But I can't wait to see what Ron Paul does next week.)