Sunday, August 24, 2008

Morning Musings

Watching Fareed Zakaria interview Barack Obama on what must be the CNN equivalent of ESPN Classics, I'm reminded of two things:

1) I read Zakaria's book The Future Of Freedom this summer, and it was an excellent (if rather depressing) view of what little-D democrats must do to try and foster freedom in the world.  Basically, we've gotta suck it up and ignore the fact that some free places aren't democracies and work with them to give their citizens more freedom.  Other places that are democracies, he says, aren't really that free.

2) Barack Obama is a manimal.  Total, 100% beast.  Once again, I was reminded (by the interview and by my interview-watching-partner Lauren) why I like Obama so much, and the article that last December really sold me on his candidacy.  It's a long read, but it's worth it.

The other thing that I noticed was that there is absolutely no difference between really expensive, steel-cut, slow-cooked oatmeal and the stuff you get in the cardboard tube.  Although that could be because everything that comes in cardboard tubes tastes really really good.   

peace

PS- We can't figure out why so many people are mad at Obama for picking Biden; even Lauren, who hates everything Barack does, thinks it's a great pick.  I like him too, and think the brilliance of the choice was pretty well summed up by Ilan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me just say this: I'm here at the DNC, a place where months ago I never ever imagined I could have the slightest chance of being. Something I also couldn't imagine: that I would be here and Hillary wouldn't be the one claiming victory with her face on T-shirts everywhere from the hotel gift shop to CVS... or that it would be Obama in her place.
Yet, here I am and here it all is sans the future president Hillary. And I'm having fun.
Now, I only say this to show my own point of view (to those of you who don't already know it) and so one might understand just how badly I want to see Hillary's name on a ballot come november (and not just because I wrote it in). For months now people have been telling me to "just get over it" this was difficult way back when, on that horrible day when she suspended her campaign, and it's still difficult... but judging by the reaction to Obama's VP pick I've done remarkably well. I'm not shocked or angry in the least that Biden was picked, or that Hillary wasn't. Does she deserve it? Well, no. She, in my opinion deserves a hell of a lot more, but it' not going to happen. It never was. Not even when there was constant coverage of her home on MSNBC and CNN when everyone thought Obama might ask. Hillary would have been an impossibility, she's just too big, not to mention the fact that I still think that she and Obama on a ticket is very risky, unfortunately.
But this, combined with what seems to me as just plain logic still makes about 45% of democrats say Biden was a poor choice over Clinton. As optimistic as I like to be in the American people, I have to chalk this up to just sheer ignorance, he's old, he's from a tiny state called Delaware, and if you're not someone who follows politics very much (or even a little) there's a decent chance you wouldn't have known him if he passed you in the street, apparently. But for some reason people aren't taking the time to get to know who he is past the little bios being flashed on CNN every hour, they don't think about why he was chosen (perhaps because of his experience, his knowledge of international relations, his intelligence, his charisma etc, etc.) but only that he isn't Hillary. I'd hate to remind people though that Clinton's name hasn't been (seriously) tossed around for weeks now, it's really been Biden, Kaine, and Bayh who have claimed the spotlight of attention...but I guess no one is paying it very much.
So I guess, what I'm saying is that people have to stop being so stubborn, and recognize a good choice (by someone who I have taken issue with repeatedly) and run with it. Just because it wasn't the "dream" ticket people wanted, it doesn't mean that it won't be a good thing.

oh, p.s. sorry i sort of used the comment space as my own personal blog

Unknown said...

Henry! It sounds like everything's been going great for you! I'll be reading this more than paying attention to stuff on NBC (though I'll watch it like a good little politician should be) because you've got the first hand experience while being there.

Anyway, have an awesome time there, and keep a look out for one of my good friends - Sam Haas. I went to China with him, I believe he's the youngest there.

Peace!