Saturday, August 23, 2008

Just Got My Text

At 12:58 am here, according to my cell phone, the Barack Obama for President campaign text messaged me that Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) will be Obama's running mate.  It was kind of anticlimactic.  I had climbed out of a swimming pool earlier in the night and realized I had several friends who were way more on point than I was who texted me "Obama-Biden."  So by the time I got to opening the text from the campaign, I knew what was coming.  In all honesty, it kind of made me sad to not have the surprise of opening the real one.  But I still smiled.  Enough about that.  Here's little bio pulled from the NY Times:

Full Name: Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr.
Party: Democratic
Political Office: U.S. Senator from Delaware; elected 1972; reelected 1978, 1984, 1990, 1996, and 2002
Business/Professional Experience: Attorney (in Wilmington), 1968-72; Councilman, New Castle County (Delaware), 1970-72
Date of Birth: November 20, 1942
Place of Birth: Scranton, Pa.
Education: B.A., University of Delaware, 1965; J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1968
Spouse: married (2d) Jill Jacobs, 1977
Children: sons Joseph R. III, born 1969 and Robert, b. 1970 (with first wife Neilia Hunter, m. 1966; died 1972 in auto accident with infant daughter Naomi); daughter Ashley, born 1981
Religion: Roman Catholic


The whole article is here

Anyway, while my thoughts as a pundit really don't amount to much, as a voter I can try to say what think about Biden.  I like him, even if I didn't always think we'd get him as the VP.  But I'm a little disappointed in the choice; while I like Biden on a lot of issues, like his charm, think it's great that he has so much experience, I just can't get over the feeling this is a typical Democratic move with a known quantity.  I like Obama when he goes with a three point shot, something that can change the dynamic of a race beyond Ohio and Florida.

But I still like Biden a lot.

He was the most qualified (except maybe Richardson) and by far the most ready to step into the Oval Office if something bad happened to Obama.  Even though he supported it at first, he's been pretty good recently on the War.  And he's a charming attacker.  I like him and I think he brings a good gravitas to the ticket.  I just hope his selection (and the fact that he's pulling ads in red states) doesn't herald a new Obama strategy that abandons his map-changing appeal and campaign.

As for what McCain is thinking now...maybe this will help highlight Obama's inexperience?  maybe Biden will stick is foot in his mouth?  I just think nominating Romney will invite a thrashing by Biden in the VP debate.

peace


PS- Bonus update for all you Dodger fans out there:  BAM!

The boys are starting to hit again... Utley had a jack, so did Howard, and the bottom of the order stayed strong.  Chris Coste is an animal too, by the way.  I just wish Jimmy Rollins was in MVP form this year.

1 comment:

Ilan said...

Goddamn... the entire Resilient Youth Foundation commented on the last post. How could I ever top that?

Let me just say:

1. Biden is a perfect choice. What Obama needs most is a comfort factor that comes with familiarity, not with qualifications. No matter how great a VP Tim Kaine might be, nobody has a clue who he is. This is why I was almost pulling for Clinton in the last few weeks, but certain new memes, like Biden riding the train home to Wilmington every night, and his son deploying to Iraq, make him the far stronger choice. Also, the fact remains that Hillary's greatest accomplishment to date is her Presidential run; she still lacks legislative achievements, managerial skills, and the awareness that her personal ambition is not analogous to the national interest.

2. Henry, you blog really funky fresh. I'm loving it, and really am counting on you to catch the convention for me. Because Youtube can't capture how amazing it's going to be to watch Mark Warner give the speech of his life, and for the second time in two conventions, a little-known keynoter with that vision thing demolishes Hillary Clinton's best-laid plans for the Presidency.

3. Eat at Fero's. Just make sure the hotel's plumbing is good.